Sunday, December 21, 2008

Kim's Disappearing Nine Patch

Well Kim and I opened Christmas presents on the phone today. I'll show you what I got tomorrow. But now I can finally show you what I've been working on for Kim.

I did an orange/tan/brown quilt. I used Disappearing Nine Patch for the pattern.
You start with a standard nine patch like this: Then you slice it in quarters like this:
Rearrange and sew back together like this:
Repeat a bunch so you have a whole quilt's worth. Then lay them out to see how you like them best like this:
And sew them together. You will see that I didn't end up staying with my original layout. Very close, but I made soem changes.
Then quilt. Sorry I don't have better pictures. I did a free motion random pattern.
This pic sort of shows the quilting better. I backed with this off white color. I did bind it with the dark brown. I guess I forgot to take a photo of that though. The finished quilt is 60x60 inches. Kim said it goes well on her couch, the colors are right and all. So she's using it to cuddle in to watch TV. It's good because apparently they had a HIGH of -2 today and that's just sick! You NEED a TV quilt with that kind of weather.
So this type of free motion quilting is my new favorite, I plan to free motion quilt everything now! No more pain in the butt stitching in the ditch for me.

5 comments:

Thanh Vo said...

Yippie! It's gorgeous Erin. You did an amazing job.

K Hutchinson said...

It is the BEST gift ever! It is so overwhelming to me- I cry just thinking of the all the work you put into it for me! I LOVE IT! Cuddled up under it drinking hot cocoa with a candy cane in it. It is gorgeous! LOVE IT!

Linda B said...

Beautiful work Erin.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Erin! You are the winner of our vinyl design giveaway. Please email us at littlebirdiesecrets@gmail.com so we can get you in touch with the host who is providing the prize!! Congrats!!

Robin said...

This is a beautiful quilt! I love the happy oranges and warm browns. Thanks for sharing how you created it!